A remarkably tiny all-metal hot-end for reprap 3D printers capable of 500°c in 3mm & 1.75mm
an all metal hot-end for reprap 3D printers
engineered to solve common problems in 3d printing
Designed in Ohio. Made in the USA.
Single Piece Body
Machined from a solid piece of 303 Stainless Steel
We wanted a design that does not suffer the same problems as traditional hot-ends. So we aimed to reduce the number of components for the Pico hot-end—to one. Beautifully machined to incredibly tight tolerances from a single piece of 303 stainless steel. There is no PTFE (Teflon®) or PEEK to leak or fail. In fact, we take leaks so serious, we designed a custom nozzle with chamfered edges to form a leak-free compression seal.
- Reduced leak/failure points with only one conjunction
- Heavyweight that is lightweight: 29g making it the lightest all-metal universal hot-end
- Compact size: 56mm x 14.3mm dia. making it the smallest footprint of all-metal universal hot-ends
- Meltdown-free, long-lasting, plastic-free design makes it strong and durable
- Built-in 13mm wrench flats
- Precision-machined 45 degree chamfered nozzles for a leak-resistant compression fit
Thermally simulated, validated testing.
We ran exhaustive thermal studies to ensure the heat stays where it belongs. To prevent jamming caused by heat migration upwards, the Pico has high-precision cooling fins—just 0.5mm thin. The results speak for themselves; printing at 260°C the Pico’s top threads are a cool 45.9°C. The Pico is designed with a thermal break between the heat zone and the inlet. So you can enjoy printing a variety of materials up to 300ºC or beyond¹. *Some materials require active cooling ¹limited by thermistor option installed
- Stainless steel was chosen for thermal characteristics. It favors heat to just the heated portions as opposed to aluminum which absorbs heat throughout while reducing efficiency.
- High-efficiency integrated vertical heater block. Threads inhibit heat transfer in threaded heater blocks
- No bulky heat sink.
Custom Made Heater
Tight tolerance. Made in the USA—in 12 or 24 volt
Going vertical allows an integrated heater block for a compact, beautiful design. This improves the heating efficiency and boosts performance by uninhibited heat transfer vs. traditional threaded heater blocks. The heater is placed in the optimal position to ensure even heating of the melt zone—not to mention a perfect-fit bore, it is neither too short or long—further increasing heater life. And we did not want to use just any heater in Pico. We designed a custom heater, made in the USA to meet our specifications. To top it off, it’s treated with a release agent in the rare case you need to change it out.
- USA made heaters, tailored to our application, replace the sub-par imported heater cartridges
- 40 Watts, 12 volts or 24 volts
- High-temperature 25in DuraFlex® leads
- 6.23mm diameter (¼in) by 20mm long (+/- 0.04mm)
300° & 500°C Thermistors
Kapton Tape Free.
An engineered smart spring strain relief secures the thermistor with a few twists for a clean and reliable assembly. Eliminate the archaic use of tape and after thought set screws forever and enjoy worry free printing with B3’s clean and secure thermistor options.
- Thermistor spring wire strain relief
- No more messy tape or cement
- Threads into any #6-40 tapped hole
- Fully assembled 25in wire leads
Universal & Open Hardware
Power to the Maker!
The open hardware RepRap community has given us so much, and now it’s time we give back. Because, when we work together, we all move forward. And thanks to this diverse community there are numerous variations of 3D printers out there. So we designed mounts that will work with virtually any printer out there.
- Groovemount: Aluminum, M6 threaded for pico
- Groovemount for Bowden: Threaded for push-to-connect fittings
- Flat plate mount: 0.190 inch thick laser-cut aluminum, 50mm spaced slots, frame structured for weight reduction
What’s inside the box
1 – 303 stainless steel single piece Pico body 1 – Brass nozzle in either 0.35, 0.4, 0.5 or 0.6mm 1 – 40-watt 6.23mm (¼in) x 20mm USA cartridge heater with 25in leads (12 or 24-volt) 1 – Thermistor, fully assembled with 25in leads 1 – Mount (flat, groove, or groove for bowden) 1 – 40mm x 40mm x 10mm fan (12-volt) 1 – Filament filter with 2 foam filters 1 – User manual
- 3mm or 1.75mm size filament hot-end
- 303 stainless steel one-piece leak prevention structure
- Single point M6x1.0 top mount
- Interchangeable brass nozzle — M6 x1.0
- Interchangeable 40-watt 6.23mm (¼in) x 20mm USA cartridge heater with 25in leads (12 or 24-volt)—release agent coated
- Interchangeable 300° or 500°C thermistors—fully assembled. Heat shrink & fiberglass insulated leads with metal spring strain relief
- Eccentric 0.5mm thin Cooling Fins
Material: 303 stainless steel Size: 47.6mm x 14.29mm diameter Weight: 25.67 grams
Material: Brass Outlet Diameters: 0.2, 0.35, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6, 0.7, & 1mm Weight: 2.03 grams
Up to 300° Celsius (572ºF) with 300°C Thermistor*
Up to 500° Celsius (932ºF) with 500°C Thermistor
*Limited by the thermistor